With a major winter storm advisory taking aim for North Carolina now is the time to shift out of the “what if the storm hits here” mode and into the “I’d better get ready, here it comes” mode. Now is the time to assemble a winter storm medical kit.
“The middle of a crisis isn’t the time to realize you forgot to fill a prescription or didn’t bring the items for basic family care” says Mark Gregory, Sr. Vice President of Store Operations for Kerr Drug. “There should be enough supplies in the emergency kit to last for several days because it’s impossible to predict how long an area may be closed down after a storm. That’s why it’s a good idea to ask your neighborhood pharmacist for help with prescription and over-the-counter medications.”
Pharmacists recommend your winter storm survival kit be assembled in an easy-to- carry, water- tight container and include:
- Prescription medicines and special medical supplies such as glucose monitoring equipment. KEEP AT LEAST A 2-WEEK SUPPLY OF YOUR PRESCRIPTION MEDS ON HAND!
- Over-the-counter medicines such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain relief.
- Children’s medicines.
- Several bottles of hand sanitizing gel.
- Allergy medications.
- Personal hygiene supplies.
- First aid kit, including sterile gloves, sterile dressings and antibiotic wipes to disinfect, adhesive bandages in several sizes and antibiotic cream.
- Several packs of travel tissues.
- Copy of health insurance card and a copy of prescriptions*, phone numbers of health care providers, and health information concerning chronic health problems.
Make sure to sock up on non-perishables, and beat the grocery store lines by getting these items at Kerr Drug:
- Canned Foods
- Water & Beverages
- Flashlights & Batteries
- Paper goods
- Ice Melt
- Fire Logs
- Energizer Lantern
- Lamp Oil
- Ice Scrapers
During the disaster you can go to www.kerrdrug.com to make sure your local store is open. Kerr Drug’s pharmacy system allows you to fill your Rx at any of their stores, so if yours is closed due to emergency situations, you can find one that is open.
*To be most efficient, download the Kerr Mobile APP to locate stores, order Rx refills, and maintain a record of your family’s prescriptions.
”It’s not time to panic, but it is clearly time to collect medical items for an emergency kit because you can think clearly if you’re not in a hurry,” adds Gregory. “If you have these basic supplies you are better prepared to help your loved ones and yourself in an emergency.”